Helping our clients build climate resilience
Climate change is now recognized as the major environmental challenge of the 21st century. It is a growing crisis which impacts economy, health and safety, food production, security, and more. Temperatures will rise and extreme weather events will become more intense and occur more frequent.
Drought, insect outbreaks, declining water supplies, reduced agricultural yields, health impacts, flooding, erosion, decreased air quality, increased wildfires, inundation and increasing ocean acidity; these are all examples of the impact of climate change that is expected in the next decades.
Climate change will lead to high losses. According to the Global Commission on Adaptation:
- Climate change may depress growth in global agriculture yields up to 30 percent by 2050.
- The number of people who may lack sufficient water, at least one month per year, will soar from 3.6 billion today to more than 5 billion by 2050.
- Rising seas and greater storm surges could incur an annual cost to urban areas of more than $1 trillion each year by 2050.
Accelerated adaptation in key systems, such as food, cities, infrastructure and natural environment are required to reduce the losses. Companies that respond to these new increasing risks and adapt to change will gain a competitive advantage.
“Weather Impact has state of the art knowledge about the local impacts of climate change on your organization”
Our consulting team gives advice to private and public sector clients on how to make their projects, policies and assets resilient to climate change. Weather Impact understands the impacts of climate change on business. Smallholder farmers, but also larger plantations and companies are affected by climate change and they need to know whether future yields are still profitable enough to run their business. Our consultancy and products strengthens strategic decisions, competitive advantage and global supply chains.
Some of our key consultancy projects for climate adaptation:
- Designing of weather and climate advisory systems
- Consultancy for investment in Early Warning Systems
- Stakeholder engagement for design of climate services
- Climate data analytics for crop suitability maps
- Courses and workshops on climate scenarios and adaptation pathways